Thursday 18 July 2019


18.07.19    3500ish km
Today we travelled from Alice to Tennant Creek. The drive was still longer than others, but only half the size of the drive from Melbourne to Adelaide. On the drive, we saw lots of Termite hills. I couldn’t help wondering if they were edible. Well, I already knew they were. It made sense, because there were so many termite hills, and they had so many termites in them that they would make a good meal. I haven’t eaten them yet. Wonder what they would taste like? The termite hills were huge.
In Australia, there is this organisation working with Aboriginal people called “Gods Dreaming”. They have done lots of illustrating in Aboriginal styled painting of the big picture of the Bible. There was a picture of the Tower of Babel. Since Aboriginal people didn’t have a history of big towers, they used a termite hill instead. It makes sense. Some locals decided to put shirts on the termite hills. We thought that was funny, but there might have been something to it.
The termite hills were fascinating, because I knew how many termites lived in them, and it made them seem like cities. And then there were hundreds of cities. Some of them were probably as tall as me!
This night we are staying at a motel. It is owned by some Chinese people, and it was probably recently owned by some other people, because the hotel was called El Dorado, and at the restaurant there was a painting of a cartoon horse with the word Texas on it.
There was a swimming pool we tried to go in, because it is getting a bit warmer over here, and Mum says that Canadians would consider it a hot day. But the swimming pool was freezing, like actually freezing! I decided to jump in, because I prefer to jump in and adjust quickly than just standing there and slowly adjusting .But when I jumped in , I seriously regretted it- it was colder than usual, and a swam really quickly to the edge and pulled myself out. It didn’t go back in after that. We left, because it was too cold. The heat wasn’t that bad, after all.





4 comments:

  1. Interesting reading Abigail.Your description of the termites is fascinating. I would also find the water cold. However jumping in would be rather hard for me (guess my age does not help.) You were brave. When you get to Darwin you will enjoy the pool. xx ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. The message is from Baba. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't quite aware it was that cold. But what has really surprised me is that the termite hills are only getting bigger. Thankyou for reading my blog, Baba. xoxox

      Delete
    2. The termite hills are fascinating. When I travelled with Grandpa in Queensland and Western Australia we also saw many termite hills. Some were a lighter and darker shade. I love reading your blog Abigail. Thank you for sending it to me. Love you. xxoo 💜

      Delete