Sunday 14 July 2019


The next morning, I decided to draw some of the plants that I saw, and the sunrise even though it wasn’t quite a sunrise because I came a bit late. Then we were in the desert. It was ridiculously empty. Sometimes we would see a few bushes, and then sometimes we would see the bush-  one bush standing by itself. What really surprised me was that it was not hot, because I thought it was always hot in the desert (except for the night), and it wasn’t quite as sandy as I expected. There was lots of small bushes and scrub called spinifex. I didn’t mind the desert, because I had a very interesting book to read.
The new went to the middle of nowhere. Well, it wasn’t exactly the middle of nowhere, because it was a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. It was called Coober Pedy, and there was lots of Opal mining there. We got to stay in an underground camping place, which Patrick and Robyn loved, but I wasn’t that excited,. It wasn’t very cosy.
Then we continued our very deserty drive the next morning-today. Mum said it looked like the type of land that of you were stuck in, you probably wouldn’t survive, unlike some places which looked better. It didn’t have enough trees. We needed to stop at any truck stop that we could see, because there was not many, and it was too risky too skip it, even if the petrol was expensive. AND THEN MY BOOK WAS FINISHED! I wish I could keep reading it, but I couldn’t. So I read another book, but this one is harder to read because of its style. Even the font was annoying. The actual story is interesting,though. We listened to Colin Buchanan music in the car because that is what you do when you are in the desert. We have a Kangaroo whistle so that we do not hit any Kangaroos. We would see signs saying to watch out for cows, because there was no fences near the road.
Today, we passed the border between South Australia and the Northern Territory. We tried to cross it all at exactly the same time, but Patrick misunderstood and stepped over the border before us. We pretended it didn’t happen and all went at the same time. I went back and forth across the border just for the sake of it and I lost count of how many times I did. After driving for I while, I saw less spinifex and a little more yellowish grey grass and bushes. There is a little less desert now, but we have still got another day of desert to go. And then we go to the Uluru. (the Ooolooroo)

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Abigail, Mara here.
    Just saying, your other account you're using won't let me send you emails. I've sent two that were both harshly noped by Google.
    I'm missing you very much, and I'm sorry that I couldn't talk to you sooner.
    I wish you all the very best of luck in Darwin. Say hi to the rest of your family.
    From,
    A Martian Giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I definitely can't email that account.
    I can't sign up for anything else, either, I'm lucky enough to just have a Google account.
    Sorry about that, Abby-Wabby.

    From, A Martian Giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so your cant email me. Can you text my Mum instead? My other friend Jasmine did that.

      Delete
  3. The desert is certainly different country. We found it quite an experience when travelling along the Nullarbor in Western Australia. At last you reached the Northern Territory. Love Baba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing at the SA and NT border with Eric and Ryan. I probably did it like thirty ot forty times. (NO JOKE!)

    We all joked about people adjust the number of people in the State or Territory every time someone walks over it.
    NMS friend.......
    Em

    ReplyDelete