Saturday 6 July 2019

Our Trip to Darwin

We have not yet started driving, but I can feel that the trip in some ways is already beginning. Our house is almost empty, and the moving truck has already left. The Kent removals came over, picking up our numerous boxes. Some of the stuff will actually be travelling by train. Dad says this is good, because there is less vibration on a train. In some ways, I wish I could also travel by train. The only thing is, the type of train the TV is going on is not the comfiest train. If I could get off at stops, and there was windows, then I might consider it.
It wouldn't be the same as travelling on Russian trains,which are so much better. You can travel on them for days. People built them because Russia is a very big country and it is on land. So a train is a very good way to travel. On the train, you could have plenty of tea, look out the window at the beautiful landscape, and read lots of books.
Unfortunately, we are not travelling to Darwin by train. We are going by car.
The answers people gave me to this idea varied. When I told some people we were moving to Darwin, they would ask if we were going by car, as if this was more practical. 
But some people gave a different answer. On my last week at youth group, the youths prayed for me, and one prayed that the flight would go well. I didn't tell them we were driving until afterwards- I didn't want to interrupt them, but after that I found it hard to focus. At the end I told them we were actually driving, and they were surprised.
The house is getting emptier every day. Almost all my furniture is gone- everything except for my bed. We cannot afford to take our furniture- the only furniture we are taking is Mum and Dad's bed. Tomorrow, The Salvation Army truck will come and pick up all the stuff that we don't need that we haven't managed to sell or give away. Except our bikes.
I was very excited when I found out that our bikes are going to a small African country called Sierra Leone. Since I'm very fascinated in geography (I got that from my Dad), I had already heard of it. From a school project, I know that Sierra Leone actually has the smallest minimum wage- three cents per hour, making them a very poor country. (at least they have a minimum wage)I'm overjoyed to know that our bikes will not be toys, but tools to these people who actually need a bike. The bikes will help them lots.
We have given a lot of stuff away- and it feel good to know we're helping. Dropping stuff of at Savers and in the big yellow bin near the train station is great.
We are leaving the house in a few days. By the end of our stay here, we will almost be camping in the house. Good practice for the trip. :)
We are going through the center of Australia- through Adelaide, stopping at the Uluru, Tennant creek, Mataranka, and a few other places. I told Mum and Dad not to tell me too much, but you pick stuff up anyway. 
It is going to be an incredible adventure.

4 comments:

  1. That's so cool, Abigail! I'm already so proud of the help you and your giving.. And you haven't even left, yet! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels Abigail. I look forward to following your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this already! Looking forward to reading all about your journey. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your entertaining post. I'm looking forward to reading about your journey. ❤

    ReplyDelete